Monday, November 8, 2010

Change It Up

Hello!

How was your weekend? I was busy all weekend and didn't get a chance to post on Saturday after my run. I did a 5 mile run on my regular route. Before I started I was a little apprehensive, but I hope I don't feel that way every time my mileage goes up.  Every time I start running, though, I know I am committed to running the complete distance.

I did mile 1 in 9:52, mile 2 in 10:35, mile 3 in 10:43, mile 4 in 10:45, and mile 5 in 10:35. I felt really good afterwards...like I had accomplished something. It has been a few months since I have run that distance so it's nice to know I can still do it! I really need to vary my running route. My knees were hurting a bit after my last few runs, and I think it is because the route I run is pavement and has hills.  I decided that this week I would change up my run location and see if it helps.

Today I had a 2 mile run and I did it at the gym on the treadmill before I did my weights workout. What I wrote in my training journal will give you a little insight on how that went....I wrote, "I officially LOATHE the treadmill. I will not run on it again unless I absolutely have to!" I made it almost all the way through my run at a 10: 20 pace but had to slow it down at the end. I was really dehydrated and felt super weak, and I was also extremely hot and tired. It still doesn't make sense to me why it is so hard. A 10:20 pace outside wouldn't really be an issue. I told Kyle to get me a pair of spikes for my birthday so that I can run outside in the winter and hopefully not have to run in the gym. My knees haven't been bothering me today so I think that may be one positive thing about running on the treadmill!

I'm getting bored with my weights routine so I think I might try to switch it up a bit and try something new. My sister e-mailed me an 8 week volleyball conditioning workout schedule. I will probably start that soon and see how I like it. It might actually be good because I was thinking about joining a recreational volleyball team for the winter season.

And now for some good news.... I think I broke through my weight loss plateau!!  My weight has gone down a little bit finally after a couple of weeks so I'm hoping I continue to lose more weight now. I think that 5 mile run on Saturday did the trick!!

Happy running, friends!

-Hannah

2 comments:

  1. You are so much faster now! I am so proud of you! Even without the weight-loss, your speed improvement alone is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm impressed with your consistency outside! You said you struggled with pacing, but all your times are pretty close!
    Try running on some dirt or something. When I was struggling moving my run outside, I noticed that part of it was because it was on pavement. Adding the dirt/grass for even just a bit helped a ton.

    And now I'm in agreeance with you and the treadmill. I went back on it the other day for the first time in about a month, and I nearly fell. Also, my knee is starting to act up again when it hadn't outside. My allergies in this city are condemning me to the gym for right now, though...

    Good luck and keep it up!

    ReplyDelete

Please be kind!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Sign In